This dish freezes well for future meals. Quinoa provides whole-grain goodness and a serving of protein.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 Tbst olive oil
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped (½ cup)
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tspn)
- 1 pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 15-oz. cans diced tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup quinoa cooked and fluffed
- 3 large carrots, grated (1½ cups)
- 1½ cups grated mozzarella and parmasen
- 4 large bell peppers or zucchini, ribs and inside flesh removed
- 1 brinjal or a small egg plant
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery, and cook 5 minutes, or until soft. Add cumin and garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Stir in spinach and drained tomatoes. Cook 5 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated.Stir in black beans, quinoa, brinjal, carrots, and 2 cups water. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. Stir in 1 cup cheese. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour liquid from tomatoes in bottom of baking dish.
- Fill each bell pepper half with heaping ¾-cup quinoa mixture, and place in baking dish. Cover with foil, and bake 1 hour. Uncover, and sprinkle each pepper with 1 tbsp remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes more, or until tops of stuffed peppers are browned. Let stand 5 minutes. Transfer stuffed peppers to serving plates, and drizzle each with pan juices before serving.